2 decades of thinking about Kim


JAY – Every day for 20 years, Dick Moreau has prayed that God will let his daughter, Kim, be returned to her family. He still does.

Kim was just 17 when she was last seen on May 10, 1986, leaving her Jewell Street home in Jay with an unknown individual.

Since then, Dick Moreau and family, friends and police have searched for the missing teen and still do. They’re planning another search this year.

Each day, Moreau starts off with a good morning to Kim and every night ends with a good night.

A large picture of his daughter taken the year before she went missing hangs on the wall of his bedroom.

A lot of his family has died over the last two decades: father, mother, first wife, stepson and mother-in-law.

“All of those people died not knowing what happened to Kim,” Moreau said Thursday. “And I would like to find her before it is my turn.”

Moreau was 44 when his search began. He’s nearing 64 now, but hasn’t given up hope.

He realized years ago that he wouldn’t find his daughter alive.

“There is not a day that you don’t think about her,” he said. “It is a void in our lives that needs to be filled. There’s definitely a feeling of hopelessness. The hope that goes with every day that goes by, the less chance you’re going to have of finding her.”

Moreau believes the hundreds of posters with Kim’s face taped to utility poles in western Maine are keeping Kim’s disappearance and the search in people’s minds.

She would have been 37 years old now and some posters show her age progressed to her 30s.

Her disappearance is a mystery and foul play has been suspected but all Moreau wants is to bring her home and end the ordeal that has tormented his family.

“It’s not about revenge,” he said.

Whatever happened 20 years ago happened, he said, and the way he looks at it is that whoever is responsible has to live with the guilt.

“We can live with the fact that she’s gone,” Moreau said. “The fact that is the hardest is we don’t have a place to go down and see a stone with her name on it. No place to go to put flowers. Nobody deserves to just be thrown out in the middle of nowhere and left there.”

There are people out there who have the information they need, Moreau said.

“Call us. Be specific. We’ll get closure,” he said. “She’ll come home. She’ll get a proper burial. She deserves to have it all come to an end, finally.”

The family continues to get information and just received some two weeks ago. A lot of it is hearsay, he said, but those posters still bother people to the point that they keep coming forward.

That’s one thing that keeps this case alive.

Whether people realize it or not, any little information they hear or share, no matter how small they feel it is, may be the link that is needed, Moreau said.

Even though Moreau is dealing with health problems including acute asthma, his search goes on.

“I’ve searched for her three years longer than she’s been alive,” he said. “I hope and pray and other people hope and pray every day that an individual will tell us where she’s at,” Moreau said.