3rd suspect nabbed in fugitive dragnet

0

AUBURN – A third suspect sought by a posse of police from two counties was captured on Tuesday after his photo appeared on a television news show the night before.

Meanwhile, an Auburn man who had promised to give himself up remained at large Tuesday night.

Police said 34-year-old Andrew Leroy Peters was tracked to an address on Canco Road in Portland Tuesday after a phoned-in tip. He was found by police and charged with failing to appear in court on drug charges.

Peters was the third man arrested as part of a cooperative effort between police agencies in Androscoggin and Cumberland counties. On Monday night, a sex offender turned himself in to the Androscoggin County Jail, another accidentally climbed into an unmarked police car, and another was reached by telephone.

Lewiston police reached 40-year-old Raymond Dulac by cell phone Monday night and learned that he was in Rangeley.

Dulac is wanted by police on charges that he violated bail stemming from accusations that he inappropriately touched young girls earlier in the year. He has remained on the lam since late summer, police said.

When police reached Dulac Monday night, they said he promised to turn himself in Tuesday between 2 and 4 p.m.

“Guess what?” said Androscoggin County Sheriff Guy Desjardins. “He never showed.”

The hunt for the four suspects culminated Monday night when teams of police gathered in both cities while news station WGME broadcast reports on the suspects. Within minutes of those broadcasts, police began receiving phoned-in tips from various parts of the state.

Arrested Monday night were Auburn men 51-year-old Earl Witten, accused of failing to register as a sex offender, and 42-year-old Phillip C. Witham, accused of the same thing.

Police said more fugitive roundup efforts are expected in coming months.

Advertisement
SHARE