No animals hurt in Westbrook animal shelter fire


WESTBROOK (AP) — Officials say a number of dogs had to be removed, but no animals were injured in a fire at a Maine animal shelter.

Fire crews were called at about 9 a.m. Wednesday to the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland, located in Westbrook.

WMTW-TV reported that the fire started in a dryer in the laundry room, forcing the shelter to throw out linens and blankets that were being dried.

One section of the building had to be evacuated, but nobody was hurt.