Arrest made in Lewiston stabbing


LEWISTON – A man stabbed in the heart in a fight Friday night on College Street remained in critical condition Saturday.

Police identified the victim as 27-year-old Jeffrey McKenzie of Lewiston.

They arrested Miguel Antonio Martinez, 24, of 124 Sabattus St. in connection with the incident, charging him with elevated aggravated assault.

Sgt. Danny LaChance said details were still slim about what either man was doing on College Street or what lead to the apparent fight at 10:30 p.m. Friday.

He was unclear on the number of stab wounds sustained by McKenzie, but said at least one went right to his heart.

The weapon was a knife, according to an arrest sheet.

McKenzie was found by an officer, bleeding on the sidewalk and surrounded by an angry crowd. Tipped off to his presence, police found Martinez hiding in a house at 12 College St., LaChance said

McKenzie spent several hours in surgery Friday night at Central Maine Medical Center, according to LaChance, who didn’t believe police had had a chance to question McKenzie.

Martinez, in Androscoggin County Jail, is expected to make his initial court appearance on Monday.

At the crime scene, two people were arrested and another was ordered to court for allegedly obstructing government administration, or keeping police from their jobs, LaChance said. He declined to elaborate.

Karla Tessier, 33, of 14 College St., and Stephen Kunze, 18, of 282 Lisbon St., were arrested. Tessier faced an addition charge of disorderly conduct.

Richard McKenzie, 23, of Oxford Street, and no relation to the victim, was issued a summons alleging obstruction of government administration.

Martinez, formerly of Brockton, Mass., was arrested this year on a charge of theft and last year was found guilty of driving to endanger and disorderly conduct.

Within an hour Friday night, police had to handle the melee on College Street, a report of a drug overdose at the Morning Star Hotel and the report of a robbery in a Russell Street apartment.

Three women detained that night were witnesses to the robbery, where a weapon was reportedly displayed, LaChance said. No one was hurt and no arrests had been made.

The man at the hotel turned out to be highly intoxicated and, after officers were able to get around his belligerent dog, he regained consciousness.