AUBURN — An early morning fire at an apartment house on Webster Street was determined to be arson, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
Auburn firefighters broke into the first-floor apartment and alerted Krista Caron, her husband and two children, the only occupants of the four-unit building. The family escaped without injury. A pet cat perished.
Five state fire investigators and inspectors are working with Auburn police and fire officials investigating the blaze.
Investigators say the fire started in a vacant first-floor apartment to the rear of the two-story building, but didn’t say how it started. The Carons lived at the front of the first floor.
The apartment house is located at 22-24 Webster St. It sustained heavy damage at the rear and smoke and water damage at the front of the first floor.
Firefighters helped the family move the personal belongings they could salvage from their apartment later in the day.
Fire officials called United Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross to help find other accommodations for the family, Capt. Dean Milligan said Friday.
The fire was reported at 3:40 a.m. A second alarm brought Lewiston Fire Department to help fight the blaze.
Krista Caron said she ran out of the building in her nightgown, her 6-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son in their pajamas.
“They asked me if anyone else was in the building and told me to get out immediately,” she said. “After that, it’s just a blur.”
With the help of the Red Cross, the family found a room at a local hotel while they figure out where to go from there, she said.
“I’m just happy we all got our alive,” she said.