Auburn lifts boil-water order

0

AUBURN — City officials have declared the water safe to drink.

A boil-water order had been in place on some streets since Tuesday, when a tractor-trailer truck jumped a sidewalk, struck a hydrant and broke three water mains.

Mike Broadbent, assistant superintendent of the Auburn Water and Sewerage Districts, said tests came back Thursday morning that found the water on Willow, Pine, Pearl and Oak streets safe.

A boil-water order had been lifted on School, Grant, James and Charles streets late Wednesday afternoon.

Advertisement

The precaution stemmed from a crash on Tuesday when witnesses reported seeing a white truck strike the hydrant at Goff and Grant streets around 1:15 p.m. The truck did not stop.

Waterlines broke on Grant, School and Pine streets, with 5- to 6-foot cracks in each. There’s no tally yet on the cost for the repairs.

Pavement repairs should be finished next week, Broadbent said.

Deputy Chief Jason Moen said police are continuing to look for the truck and driver.

kskelton@sunjournal.com

Advertisement
SHARE