Rise in adult prescription drug abuse means more toddlers being poisoned

BANGOR — Poison control centers are increasingly dealing with young children who have accidentally ingested powerful painkillers.

It’s a phenomenon associated with adult abuse of opiate-based prescription drugs, an emerging public health issue that not only confronts law enforcement and substance abuse professionals statewide but those who deal with poisoning emergencies. Toddlers also find themselves ingesting methadone and Suboxone, powerful drugs used in treating opiate dependence.

“Admission of toddlers for Suboxone poisoning is not infrequent, maybe a couple a month,” said Dr. George Payne, who staffs the pediatric intensive care unit at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor. “Toddlers are prone to crawling around and putting things in their mouths, and when they ingest opiate-based drugs or substances like Suboxone, they present here in an altered mental status, depressed and difficult to arouse. They have very sluggish breathing and are just not responsive. A single tablet of Suboxone can be very toxic to a toddler.”

Between July 1, 2010, and June 30, 2011, the Northern New England Poison Control Center fielded 14,266 hotline calls from Maine residents concerning “human exposures” to poisons. Of those calls, more than 42 percent, or nearly 6,000, involved children under age 6, and 30 percent involved children under age 2. Nationally, an estimated 1.2 million children under age 6 are poisoned each year.

While the vast majority of incidents are still caused by dosing mistakes or accidental ingestion of medicines or miscellaneous products such as household cleaners, personal care products, topicals and even toys, an increasing number of calls involve opioid-related poisonings.

In 2006, the Poison Control Center fielded 50 calls from Maine associated with opioid-related poisonings involving children. By 2009, that number jumped to 80. It continues to climb, with Washington County having the greatest increase in poisonings associated with accidental ingestion of Vicodin, oxycodone, hydrocodone, methadone and codeine.

Poison control experts say opiates trigger a more serious response in young children than other classes of medications they might accidentally ingest. Symptoms of opioid poisoning include sleepiness, trouble breathing, vomiting, choking and coma.

Payne said children poisoned by opiate-based drugs are monitored while the long-lasting drug takes its course. “They will be put in the ICU, and the most serious cases may be intubated and put on a respirator,” he said. “It’s an 18- to 24-hour hospital stay. If the poisoning was severe, there’s the risk that they were not breathing for a time, and there are all sorts of outcomes that low oxygen can involve.”

Another common source of accidental poisoning in children is nicotine from cigarettes, cigarette butts and chewing tobacco. The American Association of Poison Control Centers received nearly 8,000 reports in 2007 of potentially toxic exposure to tobacco products by children younger than age 6.

The association warns that severe nicotine poisoning in children can trigger depressed respiration, heartbeat irregularities and convulsions.

Both regionally and nationally, poison control centers also have been fielding calls about children ingesting the strong detergent found in laundry “pods,” a new packaging for laundry soap that, to a child, may look like candy.

Between March 1 and May 31 of this year, the Northern New England Poison Control Center had 15 calls related to children biting into the capsules, including eight calls from Maine. Of those, only one case required medical care, only because the child had rubbed the detergent into the eyes, causing severe irritation.

Anyone who suspects a poisoning has occurred should call the Northern New England Poison Center at 800-222-1222. More information also is available at the center’s website at http://www.nnepc.org/.

What do you think of this story?

Login to post comments

In order to make comments, you must create a subscription.

In order to comment on SunJournal.com, you must hold a valid subscription allowing access to this website. You must use your real name and include the town in which you live in your SunJournal.com profile. To subscribe or link your existing subscription click here.

Login or create an account here.

Our policy prohibits comments that are:

  • Defamatory, abusive, obscene, racist, or otherwise hateful
  • Excessively foul and/or vulgar
  • Inappropriately sexual
  • Baseless personal attacks or otherwise threatening
  • Contain illegal material, or material that infringes on the rights of others
  • Commercial postings attempting to sell a product/item
If you violate this policy, your comment will be removed and your account may be banned from posting comments.

Advertisement

Comments

FRANK EARLEY's picture

I know I sound like a broken record, but....

I'm sorry, but sometimes I have to comment when I see something that bothers me. When I read a line like " children are being poisoned by opiate abusing adults", that bothers me. Not every person who uses opiates is abusing them. Lines like that one are creating a stereotype which I feel is unfair to legitimate users.
I will be the first to agree, there is a real problem with the abuse of prescription medications. I will also be the first to tell you that if you have permanent nerve damage resulting in chronic pain syndrome, you kind of like to have pain relief available.
I no longer use opiates, they do nothing to help me, but when I did it was getting worse every time I refilled a prescription. Many people now assume that if you have Oxycontin, your abusing it or getting high. With all the press, its no wonder.
The bottom line comes down to personal responsibility. Any prescription is deadly, and should always be kept out of children's hands. Just keep in mind, some people need medications, and use them responsibly.....

Sandra Coulombe's picture

If toxic items are properly

If toxic items are properly stored and small children properly supervised there would be no poisoning. The adults in these cases need to be held accountable. There is no such thing as an accidental poisoning of a small child, there is negligence involved in all such cases. I managed to raise three kids, have six grandkids and not one has been able to "accidentally" poison themselves. Small child in the house cigs, alcohol, cleaning supplies, and medications up high and child supervised. It really is an easy problem never to have. If you don't care enough about the children in your care to take the steps to keep them safe they should be removed from your care permanently! Child are a responsibility not a right lets get the thinking on that corrected and lots of ills will be corrected along with making the children safer!

Advertisement

Stay informed — Get the news delivered for free in your inbox.

I'm interested in ...