AUBURN — A family of four is being relocated by the American Red Cross after firefighters contained a fast-moving fire at a home at 19 Bramblewood Road likely caused by lightning.
Firefighters were called to the two-story house just after 4 p.m.
Auburn Deputy Chief Geoff Low said two people were on the first floor. The two told firefighters they heard a loud bang, but since the afternoon thunderstorm had just started, they didn't think anything of it.
The two left the house to run some errands. When they came out of the garage, they looked up and saw smoke coming from the roof and called 911.
When firefighters arrived, there was a lot of smoke but they didn't see any flames, Low said. They poked holes in the ceiling of the second floor into the attic space and found the fire. They fought the fire from the ceilings of the second floor then cut a hole in the roof, which allowed the fire to ventilate upward, Low said.
Everyone got out of the house safely.
According to city assessing records, the home is valued at $190,500.