Sparklers and toaster oven blamed in Portland fire that displaces 3 families

PORTLAND — Firefighters in Maine's largest city are battling an apartment house fire that a neighbor says was started by children playing with sparklers.

City officials say everyone made it out of the building to safety late Monday morning, but thick plumes of smoke could be seen from downtown as firefighters battled the blaze.

The Portland Press Herald  quotes a neighbor, Melissa Trott, as saying kids caused the fire by trying to light fireworks using a toaster oven. The newspaper reports the fire left three families without a place to stay.

A city spokeswoman declined to discuss the cause of the fire. Congress Street was closed as firefighters doused the blaze in the building across the street from the Eastern Cemetery.

What do you think of this story?

Login to post comments

In order to make comments, you must create a subscription.

In order to comment on, you must hold a valid subscription allowing access to this website. You must use your real name and include the town in which you live in your profile. To subscribe or link your existing subscription click here.

Login or create an account here.

Our policy prohibits comments that are:

  • Defamatory, abusive, obscene, racist, or otherwise hateful
  • Excessively foul and/or vulgar
  • Inappropriately sexual
  • Baseless personal attacks or otherwise threatening
  • Contain illegal material, or material that infringes on the rights of others
  • Commercial postings attempting to sell a product/item
If you violate this policy, your comment will be removed and your account may be banned from posting comments.



 's picture

Where were their parents?

Just wondering.


I was just thinking the same thing...had to be alone for awhile to get the toaster oven going, then try to light the sparklers...unreal

Andrew Jones's picture

This is why we can't have

This is why we can't have nice things


Stay informed — Get the news delivered for free in your inbox.

I'm interested in ...