Victorino, Sox agree to $39M, 3-year deal

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Free-agent outfielder Shane Victorino and the Red Sox agreed Tuesday to a $39 million, three-year contract, Boston’s second big addition during the winter meetings.
Nicknamed The Flyin’ Hawaiian, Victorino tweeted that he planned to spend the day in Maui on a snorkeling trip aboard the Alii Nui catamaran.
“Just agreed to join the Boston (at)RedSox in the middle of paradise,” he tweeted. “(hash)BLESSED!!! Can’t wait to get to Boston!”
Victorino’s deal is subject to a physical, as is the $39 million, three-year contract the Red Sox agreed to Monday with Mike Napoli.
Victorino hit a combined .255 with 11 home runs and 55 RBIs last season for Philadelphia and the Los Angeles Dodgers. He also stole a career-high 39 bases. The Dodgers obtained Victorino in a late July trade with the Phillies.
A two-time All-Star and three-time Gold Glove winner, Victorino turned 32 on Friday. He also had been pursued by the Cleveland Indians.
Victorino played mostly center field for the Phillies and shifted to left with the Dodgers. He likely would play right field for the Red Sox but could shift to center if Jacoby Ellsbury is traded or leaves as a free agent after next season.
“It’s probably the toughest right field in baseball to play, just in terms of the space to cover,” new Boston manager John Farrell said earlier in the day. “So that range comes into play.
“And yet you try to combine the best range available along with offensive production. It might not be your prototypical right fielder where it’s a power bat because we do value the defense in that area. That’s not to exclude anyone, but defense takes a high priority, in that position at Fenway particularly.”
Boston finished last in the AL East and is trying to boost its offense. Napoli, an All-Star catcher with Texas this year, appears likely to shift his primary position.
“We see him as a first baseman primarily, but with the ability to catch,” Farrell said. “We would have him catch in spring training early on, but then certainly make sure that we’ve got enough reps at first base for not only him to feel comfortable there, but for us as well.”

Shane Victorino
Reed Saxon

FILE - In this Aug. 8, 2012, file photo, Los Angeles Dodgers' Shane Victorino follows through on a single against the Colorado Rockies in a baseball game at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. Victorino and the Boston Red Sox are close to completing a three-year deal worth $39 million, a person familiar with the talks told The Associated Press on Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012. The person, speaking at the baseball winter meetings under condition of anonymity because the contract wasn't finalized, said paperwork for the contract was being completed. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon, File)

What do you think of this story?

Login to post comments

In order to make comments, you must create a subscription.

In order to comment on SunJournal.com, you must hold a valid subscription allowing access to this website. You must use your real name and include the town in which you live in your SunJournal.com profile. To subscribe or link your existing subscription click here.

Login or create an account here.

Our policy prohibits comments that are:

  • Defamatory, abusive, obscene, racist, or otherwise hateful
  • Excessively foul and/or vulgar
  • Inappropriately sexual
  • Baseless personal attacks or otherwise threatening
  • Contain illegal material, or material that infringes on the rights of others
  • Commercial postings attempting to sell a product/item
If you violate this policy, your comment will be removed and your account may be banned from posting comments.

Advertisement

Comments

Steve  Dosh's picture

Victorino, Sox agree to $39M, 3-year deal

LSJ ® readers 12.04.12 19:30 hst ?
Shane Victorino is going the Red Sox ?
Let's hear it for the - o n l y - Hawai'ian in the major leagues
Miracles do happen , /s Santa Steve *<;-Q~

Advertisement

Stay informed — Get the news delivered for free in your inbox.

I'm interested in ...