RUMFORD – Firefighters from four towns responded to a chimney fire at a home at 484 Virgin St. on Monday evening.
The homeowner's name was not immediately available.
A family friend said four people were in the single-story residence when the chimney fire started, but they were able to escape, along with their cat and dog. The family will stay at a friend's house until the house is habitable again.
According to a firefighter, trucks from Rumford, Dixfield, Peru and Mexico were sent to the scene at about 4:40 p.m. to contain the fire, which had spread into the home.
Lt. Keith Bickford of the Rumford Fire Department said the house received approximately $1,000 in damage.
“The roof of the residence came right up to the chimney, so we had to make sure that the fire didn't reach the roof,” Bickford explained.
Firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof.
One witness said smoke from the chimney fire could be seen from downtown Rumford when it began.