Jimmy Kimmel’s take on Maine State Lottery’s recent rebranding blunder is just the latest in a series of recent quips made at Maine’s expense. Has Maine become the butt of the nation’s jokes?
What follows is a list of videos that gained national exposure in the last couple years, in chronological order. Can you remember any other recent jokes at Maine's expense?
To get the ball rolling:
- Monday, March 28, 2011: Stephen Colbert commentedon Gov. Paul LePage’s controversial decision to remove a mural from the Maine Department of Labor.
- Thursday, Aug. 9, 2012: “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” had a five-minute produced segment on “The Redneck Blank,” formerly The Redneck Olympics, in Oxford.
- Monday, Oct. 8, 2012: “The Colbert Report” featured Maine Sen. Colleen Lachowicz, D-Waterville, at the time a candidate also known for playing a level-85 orc rogue in the massively multiplayer online role-playing game “World of Warcraft.”
- Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012: “Saturday Night Live”, in its “Weekend Update” segment, featured a sketch about two gay lobstermen from Maine.
- Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012: “Saturday Night Live” debuted “Maine Justice,” a sketch featuring a Southern courtroom transplanted to Bangor.
- Monday, March 4, 2013: “Colbert Report” tackled the caper of the missing scallop guts.
- Saturday, March 9, 2013: “Saturday Night Live” again brought its audience to a Bangor courtroom for a second installment of “Maine Justice.”
- Tuesday, March 19, 2013: Jimmy Kimmel took aim at the Maine State Lottery for attempting to name instant-win scratch tickets “Kwikies.”