Cat blamed for New Hampshire apartment fire

LACONIA, N.H. (AP) — A cat is being blamed for a two-alarm fire in an apartment in Laconia.

Fire Chief Kenneth Erickson says the fire started at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday after a cat knocked over a lamp inside a bedroom.

Erickson told WMUR-TV the apartment house had working smoke detectors and everybody made it out safe, but two cats and a bird weren't so lucky. He says the building suffered extensive damage but isn't beyond repair.

Red Cross officials said four families were displaced by the fire, three of which are being helped by the Red Cross.

What do you think of this story?

Login to post comments

In order to make comments, you must create a subscription.

In order to comment on, you must hold a valid subscription allowing access to this website. You must use your real name and include the town in which you live in your profile. To subscribe or link your existing subscription click here.

Login or create an account here.

Our policy prohibits comments that are:

  • Defamatory, abusive, obscene, racist, or otherwise hateful
  • Excessively foul and/or vulgar
  • Inappropriately sexual
  • Baseless personal attacks or otherwise threatening
  • Contain illegal material, or material that infringes on the rights of others
  • Commercial postings attempting to sell a product/item
If you violate this policy, your comment will be removed and your account may be banned from posting comments.



Bob Woodbury's picture

I think...

...I might put a little more blame on the idiot who left an open flame in an unsafe area.


Stay informed — Get the news delivered for free in your inbox.

I'm interested in ...