AUBURN — A Newbury Street resident was hospitalized Sunday evening after accidentally shooting himself while attempting to clean his handgun.
According to Sgt. Laurie Woodhead, a 22-year-old male was in his 38 Newbury St. apartment at about 7:20 p.m., attempting to remove a bullet from the chamber of his .40 Glock in order to clean the weapon.
Woodhead said the man was unaware his finger was positioned on the trigger when the gun discharged. The bullet entered his left palm and exited the side of his hand.
He was transported to Central Maine Medical Center by United Ambulance with non-life-threatening injuries. The Auburn Police Department found the bullet, and no charges will be filed.