One person dead, three wounded in Calais shooting

CALAIS — Police believe the man who was shot dead in a domestic violence standoff Wednesday night in Calais had forced a 21-year-old mother and her 6-week-old baby to leave a doctor’s office parking lot with him and go to his house, according to a police spokesman.

Daniel Pinney, 26, of Calais reportedly shot Megan Sherrard, 21, of Calais and her 6-week-old baby boy, Luca. Police initially indicated that the baby was a girl.

Pinney was shot dead by Calais police shortly after officers arrived at his home at approximately 6 p.m. Wednesday, according to Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland.

McCausland said Thursday that Sherrard was supposed to have shown up at a doctor’s appointment for the baby earlier on Wednesday but did not arrive. Her car was located in the physician’s parking lot in Calais by her father on Wednesday afternoon. He then contacted Calais police because he was concerned for her safety.

At this point, McCausland said, it appears that Pinney confronted Sherrard in the parking lot of the doctor’s office and forced her to return with him to his house. Pinney had been free on bail for a domestic violence criminal threatening charge involving Sherrard, and a condition of his bail was that he was to have no contact with her. He had been arrested by Calais police on May 18, and Sherrard had filed a protection order from harassment and abuse against Pinney on June 11.

McCausland said that Sherrard suffered multiple gunshot wounds and her baby was shot in the foot. Both are being treated at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

A spokesman for EMMC had no information about their conditions Thursday afternoon..

The state attorney general’s office is investigating the officers’ involvement in the shooting of Pinney, as Calais police Officers John Preston and Joseph Bartlett both shot at Pinney after arriving at his home, just as Sherrard and her baby were fleeing it. The state police investigation is centering on the shooting of the mother and the baby.

An autopsy on Pinney’s body will take place Friday at the state medical examiner’s office in Augusta.

The case remains under investigation by the Maine State Police.

What do you think of this story?

Login to post comments

In order to make comments, you must create a subscription.

In order to comment on, you must hold a valid subscription allowing access to this website. You must use your real name and include the town in which you live in your profile. To subscribe or link your existing subscription click here.

Login or create an account here.

Our policy prohibits comments that are:

  • Defamatory, abusive, obscene, racist, or otherwise hateful
  • Excessively foul and/or vulgar
  • Inappropriately sexual
  • Baseless personal attacks or otherwise threatening
  • Contain illegal material, or material that infringes on the rights of others
  • Commercial postings attempting to sell a product/item
If you violate this policy, your comment will be removed and your account may be banned from posting comments.



ERNEST LABBE's picture

Along with

Along with the no contact condition of his bail there should have a condition barring him from having a firearm of any type. Proving that the saying that if guns were outlawed only outlaws would have guns.

PAUL MATTSON's picture



RONALD RIML's picture

That's how the 8th Amendment Works - You only like the 2nd??

"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."


Stay informed — Get the news delivered for free in your inbox.

I'm interested in ...