Gunshots shut off Bangor parade on Fourth; man arrested

Gabor Degre, Bangor Daily News

A police officer in tactical gear enters the back stairway of a building where a man was firing dozens of gunshots in downtown Bangor today.

BANGOR — A man in a Park Street residence who fired 70 or more rounds from a gun was taken into custody unharmed early Thursday afternoon, according to police.

Perrin Oliver, 43, of Detroit, Mich., was arrested and charged with Class B reckless conduct with a firearm and Class C criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, according to a deputy at Penobscot County Jail, where Oliver is being held. Both charges are felonies.

Bangor police received a call at 8:30 a.m. for a report of a man firing shots at 47 Park St., said Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards after the man was in custody.

Police created a perimeter several blocks wide because the man was shooting out of his window. Residents in the building he was in and residents in surrounding downtown buildings were evacuated, he said.

Oliver’s age was withheld by the jail.

Police negotiated for two hours and finally used tear gas to get him out of the building.

“No officers injured at this point. We’re happy that it successfully ended where no one was hurt,” said Edwards. “The suspect is in fact alive and not hurt.”

Edwards said police interviewed a woman and a small child at the police station, and they brought police back to the residence where the shooter was staying.

“The suspect that’s in custody did, in fact, shoot 70 or more shots at different periods — four or five at a time. Every few minutes he would shoot four to five bullets,” said Edwards. “Some of those appeared [to be] shot out the window. That’s why people were diverted.”

The Fourth of July Parade that typically follows through the area where police taped off was rerouted down Water Street.

The last rounds heard were from police firing tear gas into the building, Edwards said.

“Watching these guys operate was absolutely incredible,” Edwards said of the tactical team. “My hat’s off to them for saving this man’s life.”

Oliver was the only one shooting, he said. The man was taken to Penobscot County Jail in Bangor.

Gov. Paul LePage, who was walking in the parade, heard about the standoff.

“It’s unfortunate, but we have bad people in the world,” LePage said. “Thank God we have police.”

Blaine Richardson, R-Belfast, a candidate for the U.S. 2nd Congressional District was also in the parade.

“I have faith in the Bangor Police Department,” Richardson said before the standoff ended. “I can say I am sure that they will have it cleaned up and taken care of in no time.”

The Class B crimes carries a maximum prison sentence of up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000. The Class C crimes carries a maximum prison sentence of five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

Bangor Daily News photo

A police officer in tactical gear enters the back stairway of a building where a man was firing shots today in downtown Bangor.

What do you think of this story?

Login to post comments

In order to make comments, you must create a subscription.

In order to comment on, you must hold a valid subscription allowing access to this website. You must use your real name and include the town in which you live in your profile. To subscribe or link your existing subscription click here.

Login or create an account here.

Our policy prohibits comments that are:

  • Defamatory, abusive, obscene, racist, or otherwise hateful
  • Excessively foul and/or vulgar
  • Inappropriately sexual
  • Baseless personal attacks or otherwise threatening
  • Contain illegal material, or material that infringes on the rights of others
  • Commercial postings attempting to sell a product/item
If you violate this policy, your comment will be removed and your account may be banned from posting comments.



FRANK EARLEY's picture

I'm lust so glad..............

It's comforting to know, we don't feel the need to check on who is possessing firearms in this State. I mean, there's just two people dead now, who weren't dead a couple of days ago, directly or indirectly due to gun violence. I guess thats a number we can all feel comfortable with..........................

GARY SAVARD's picture

The guy in Calais that ended

The guy in Calais that ended up being killed by a police officer was prohibited from having a firearm already. I fail to see how more laws would have helped keep him away from a gun. Lawbreakers will keep breaking laws. Steal a gun, buy a stolen gun, pick your poison.


Stay informed — Get the news delivered for free in your inbox.

I'm interested in ...