Selectmen trim $8,475 from municipal budget

MEXICO — Selectmen this week trimmed about $8,475 from the $2.98 million municipal budget that was largely rejected by voters last month.

A public hearing on the revised budget is set for 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 23, at the Town Hall, followed by a referendum at the polls July 30, Town Clerk Penny Duguay said. There will be 13 articles on the ballot. Absentee ballots should be ready in a day or two, she said.

All but three municipal budget articles were voted down at the June 11 referendum.

Selectmen are recommending the following:

* Economic Development, $10,000, $7,000 more than proposed in June. About $8,000 of it is for the town's share of an independent study on ways and costs for Mexico, Rumford and Dixfield to share or merge services.

* General Government, $332,321, the same amount proposed in June.

* Public Safety, $844,030, $500 less than proposed in June.

* Health and Welfare, $98,349, the same amount proposed in June.

* Agency Requests, $2,250, $25 more than proposed in June. The extra will be donated to Lac-Megantic, Quebec, the scene of a deadly train derailment last weekend.

* Holy Savior School, $250, the same amount proposed in June.

* Public Works, $569,899, the same amount proposed in June.

* Mexico Public Library, $66,270, $1,000 less than proposed in June.

* Health and Welfare, $98,349, the same amount proposed in June.

* Unclassified/Miscellaneous, $59,847, the same amount proposed in June.

* Recreation, $109,973, the same amount proposed in June. 

* Reserve Accounts, $247,000, $14,000 less than proposed in June.

* New fire engine, borrow up to $130,000.

Town Manager John Madigan said if residents vote down any of the articles July 30, the town will use the figure approved for that article in fiscal year 2012-13.

Madigan said he believes the town's tax rate would remain the same as last year's, at $25 per $1,000, if all articles are passed. That's because of lower educational costs and more state revenue sharing than expected.

At last month's referendum, residents also approved a municipal spending limit of $2.72 million, which would go into effect for the 2014-15 budget year.

Madigan said he plans to refer the document to the Planning Board for review, because he questioned some of the wording.

Duguay said Thursday an inquiry has been made concerning a recall election for one or more of the selectmen, however, the town does not have such an ordinance. The Planning Board could develop one, which would be subject to public hearings and a townwide vote. The next Planning Board meeting is set for July 25.

What do you think of this story?

Login to post comments

In order to make comments, you must create a subscription.

In order to comment on SunJournal.com, you must hold a valid subscription allowing access to this website. You must use your real name and include the town in which you live in your SunJournal.com profile. To subscribe or link your existing subscription click here.

Login or create an account here.

Our policy prohibits comments that are:

  • Defamatory, abusive, obscene, racist, or otherwise hateful
  • Excessively foul and/or vulgar
  • Inappropriately sexual
  • Baseless personal attacks or otherwise threatening
  • Contain illegal material, or material that infringes on the rights of others
  • Commercial postings attempting to sell a product/item
If you violate this policy, your comment will be removed and your account may be banned from posting comments.

Advertisement

Comments

 's picture

There's a long way to go

before you get down to $2.72 million. Almost $252,000 if my math is right. Better to start making the serious cuts now, than to chop it all at once when the next budget needs to be written.
Time to get serious about this folks. The voters spoke, now do what you were told.

Advertisement

Stay informed — Get the news delivered for free in your inbox.

I'm interested in ...