Marijuana plants removed from Lewiston fire scene

Daryn Slover/Sun Journal

Fire investigators examine a back porch on the fourth floor of 37 Oxford St. in Lewiston on Friday. 

LEWISTON — Authorities removed several marijuana plants Friday morning from a four-story apartment building at 32 Oxford St., the scene of an early-morning fire that displaced seven people.

Daryn Slover/Sun Journal

A Lewiston firefighter rolls up hoses at 37 Oxford St. in Lewiston on Friday morning. The three-alarm apartment building fire was reported at 3:30 a.m.

Daryn Slover/Sun Journal

A car parked next to the fire scene at 37 Oxford St. lays covered with ice. 

Daryn Slover/Sun Journal

Randy Nault of the Lewiston Water Department uses a propane torch to melt ice from the fire hydrant in front of 37 Oxford St. in Lewiston on Friday. 

Daryn Slover/Sun Journal

Ice covers satellite television equipment at 37 Oxford Street in Lewiston on Friday. 

A Lewiston Police Department spokesman declined to talk about the removal of the plants and whether they had a connection to the fire, which was reported before 3 a.m. and closed down portions of Oxford and Lincoln streets. Lincoln Street opened a few hours later, and Oxford Street reopened just before 11 a.m.

Damage to the apartment building behind the Lewiston House of Pizza appeared severe. The building had one apartment on each floor. The third floor was unoccupied.

The fourth floor appeared to have taken the brunt of the fire. Portions of the roof were gone and the rear porch was charred.

Investigators from the Lewiston Fire Department were at the scene, along with Lewiston police and a member of the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency.

"It doesn't appear to be intentionally set," Lewiston police Lt. Michael McGonagle said. "However, there are some circumstances we are looking into."

An adjacent apartment building at 32½ Oxford Street has one wall positioned just 17 inches from the back of the burned building. Yet, it only sustained minor damage, said Randy Laliberte, who lives on the building's second floor.

He woke at about 2:45 a.m. and was in the bathroom when he heard noises outside, he said. When he looked out a window and saw billowing smoke, he first thought it was snowing. A moment later, he realized the truth.

He ran outside and saw the fire. He was calling 911 as firefighters arrived.

"The Lewiston Fire Department and the others did such a fine job," Laliberte said. "My son and I thought we lost our place."

At its height, flames from the back of 32 Oxford St. were so big they obscured the porch, he said.

"It looked like a square piece of flame," Laliberte said. "It was that engulfed in flames."

Yet, the adjacent building, where five people live including Laliberte and his son, Scott, never ignited.


What do you think of this story?

Login to post comments

In order to make comments, you must create a subscription.

In order to comment on, you must hold a valid subscription allowing access to this website. You must use your real name and include the town in which you live in your profile. To subscribe or link your existing subscription click here.

Login or create an account here.

Our policy prohibits comments that are:

  • Defamatory, abusive, obscene, racist, or otherwise hateful
  • Excessively foul and/or vulgar
  • Inappropriately sexual
  • Baseless personal attacks or otherwise threatening
  • Contain illegal material, or material that infringes on the rights of others
  • Commercial postings attempting to sell a product/item
If you violate this policy, your comment will be removed and your account may be banned from posting comments.



PAUL ST JEAN's picture

Test Comment

This is just a test


Stay informed — Get the news delivered for free in your inbox.

I'm interested in ...