Pulled a fast one

This is in reference to the upcoming special moose hunt in Aroostook County. State officials have pulled a fast one on those hunters who have been putting in for a permit since the point system started, plus buying extra chances and hoping that the point system would result in a better chance of getting picked.

Wrong.

From what I have been told and understand (unless I'm wrong), on this upcoming special moose hunt, the state gave 55 percent of the permits to landowners. I have no problem with that. But the other 45 percent of permits went to guides, who could then give out three apiece.

I'm thinking the way that worked out would be two for the highest bidders and one, perhaps, for a friend. The aggravating thing is the people going on that hunt will also be able to put in for the next regular hunt. So, all the time that we were made to buy chances or lose all our points, it didn't mean anything.

In the future, I'm going to save my money and spend it hunting in the South or in Canada.

Paul Cyr, Greene

What do you think of this story?

Login to post comments

In order to make comments, you must create a subscription.

In order to comment on SunJournal.com, you must hold a valid subscription allowing access to this website. You must use your real name and include the town in which you live in your SunJournal.com profile. To subscribe or link your existing subscription click here.

Login or create an account here.

Our policy prohibits comments that are:

  • Defamatory, abusive, obscene, racist, or otherwise hateful
  • Excessively foul and/or vulgar
  • Inappropriately sexual
  • Baseless personal attacks or otherwise threatening
  • Contain illegal material, or material that infringes on the rights of others
  • Commercial postings attempting to sell a product/item
If you violate this policy, your comment will be removed and your account may be banned from posting comments.

Advertisement

Comments

 's picture

I don't see how you could

I don't see how you could have missed the word "special" in your first sentence Paul. I am not saying that the F & W Dept did everything correct in handing out permits for this special hunt but it has nothing to do with the regular moose hunt and doesn't effect your odds of winning a permit. It doesn't cut down on the number of permits issued and your accumulated points are used in the regular lottery. But then again I like your last sentence because that does increase my odds.

Advertisement

Stay informed — Get the news delivered for free in your inbox.

I'm interested in ...