LEWISTON — Less than one month after apologizing publicly for his role in last month's vandalism at Riverside Cemetery, Billie James Coburn again faced a judge Friday after being arrested early that morning.
Coburn, 18, of 131 Horton St., was charged at 3:14 a.m. Friday with violating condition of release. Sgt. Randy St. Laurent of the Lewiston Police Department said Sunday night that Coburn was charged because "he was in possession of something he wasn't supposed to have."
St. Laurent declined to elaborate on what Coburn had in his possession at the time of his arrest at the corner of Pine and Sabattus streets. He said that police were patrolling the area due to a rash of recent burglaries when they came upon Coburn.
The Lewiston man is one of three suspects at the center of the August vandalism case that left one of the city's oldest cemeteries in shambles with more than 100 headstones toppled over or broken. Coburn, Shane Haskell, 20, and Jesse Macia, 18, both also of Lewiston, were all charged with aggravated criminal mischief.
Coburn walked into the Sun Journal earlier this month, publicly admitted his role in the vandalism and asked for the public's forgiveness.