Toddler seriously burned by campfire in Paris

PARIS — A 2-year-old boy was seriously burned Friday afternoon after he fell into a fire pit at a camp off Kilgore Road.

Leslie H. Dixon/Sun Journal

A 2-year-old boy is placed in a medical helicopter at the Stephens Memorial Hospital in Norway as a man and woman identified as his parents, Jody and Kimberly Carman, comfort him. The boy suffered burns on 30 percent of his back after falling into a campfire at a tent site in Paris where his family is living, police said.

Leslie H. Dixon/Sun Journal

A 2-year-old boy who suffered burns on his back when he fell into a campfire in Paris on Friday is wheeled to a medical helicopter from the emergency room at Stephens Memorial Hospital in Norway. Paris police Lt. Michael Dailey said the boy and his family are living in a tent in woods off Kilgore Road, which is off Oxford Street, in Paris.

Lt. Micheal Dailey of the Paris Police Department said the boy apparently fell into a camp fire around noontime and burned about 30 percent of his back. The injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, he said. He was taken by PACE ambulance to Stephens Memorial Hospital and then flown to Maine Medical Center in Portland.

The boy, whose name was not available, is the son of Jody Carmen II and his wife, Kimberly, who have established what Dailey called a semi-permanent camp off Kilgore Road, which is off Oxford Street. It was not clear if the family, who are living in a tent, has a permanent residence elsewhere, he said.

The location of the accident made it difficult for rescue workers to initially find the boy. Access to it is through woods and a gravel pit.

Dailey said the father was with the boy at the time of accident but it was unknown Friday how the boy fell into the fire.

Police and the State Fire Marshal's Office are investigating the incident.

Dailey said no charges are pending currently in the case but a report would be sent to the District Attorney's Office for review, which is normal in a case involving a child.

ldixon@sunjournal

What do you think of this story?

Login to post comments

In order to make comments, you must create a subscription.

In order to comment on SunJournal.com, you must hold a valid subscription allowing access to this website. You must use your real name and include the town in which you live in your SunJournal.com profile. To subscribe or link your existing subscription click here.

Login or create an account here.

Our policy prohibits comments that are:

  • Defamatory, abusive, obscene, racist, or otherwise hateful
  • Excessively foul and/or vulgar
  • Inappropriately sexual
  • Baseless personal attacks or otherwise threatening
  • Contain illegal material, or material that infringes on the rights of others
  • Commercial postings attempting to sell a product/item
If you violate this policy, your comment will be removed and your account may be banned from posting comments.

Advertisement

Comments

 's picture

Little Boy

I guesss he wasn't being watched closely...I sure wish him a speedy recovery...Poor little guy...Hugs to you...

Well lets see here..adult not

Well lets see here..adult not paying attention to a 3 year old and left unsupervised is my guess how this happened ...no child should be playing near a fire..and a pit at that...WTF..he got too close and fell in..doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out...child endangerment..

replying to my own comment

replying to my own comment about comments..didn't see first one go in , so I put another comment in..why is it we can't remove our comments when the site acts up..makes it look like we are nuts and keep commenting..think we should have the option of removing our comments if this happens..just saying..there is no button for this..

My guess would be that the

My guess would be that the child was not being supervised by the adult in charge..left to wander around a campfire..not good..poor baby..hope he gets better soon, but burns are very painful...

My guess would be that the

My guess would be that the child was not being supervised by the adult in charge..left to wander around a campfire..not good..poor baby..hope he gets better soon, but burns are very painful...

My guess would be that the

My guess would be that the child was not being supervised by the adult in charge..left to wander around a campfire..not good..poor baby..hope he gets better soon, but burns are very painful...

My guess would be that the

My guess would be that the child was not being supervised by the adult in charge..left to wander around a campfire..not good..poor baby..hope he gets better soon, but burns are very painful...

Advertisement

Stay informed — Get the news delivered for free in your inbox.

I'm interested in ...