Gov. Paul LePage’s proposed MaineCare cuts will lead to more expensive forms of care, such as emergency rooms. The cuts will add the burden to other departments and municipalities.
The governor said it is not fair to expect taxpayers to bear more of the burden. Is it fair asking those most in need to bear the entire burden while giving out tax cuts? What sacrifice has he asked of the rest of us? When someone holds so strongly to an ideological belief, it is difficult for that person to see that fairness requires shared sacrifice.
The sales tax base should be expanded. Gov. LePage should insist on collecting sales tax for online purchases. Sales tax laws were developed prior to Internet sales. It is time to bring the laws up to date with how business is currently being done.
Only 38 percent of the voters put Mr. LePage in office. The other 62 percent and many of the 38 percent do not want him to dismantle our government. He came into office with the attitude that he has all the answers, his advisers should think like and agree with him, anyone who has a different idea of how to do things is wrong. He was elected governor, not dictator, of all the people of Maine.
He made a conscious decision to become part of the political process. To properly function, the process requires having mature, reasonable discussions with those with whom he disagrees and the achieving of reasonable compromise.
Stan Tetenman, Poland