First, you can defend your position not because you couldn't but because your position is wrong.
Second, what good dose of liberalism? I'm liberal at least I think most of the readers here would agree with that and I changed my registration because Obama has implemented the Bush program almost policy by policy. TARP - Obama continued it. Bush Tax cuts - Obama continued them. War in Iraq and Afghanistan - Obama continued them. Auto bailout - Obama completed negiotiations and implemented the agreement. Obama's signature program, the ACA, a Republican idea first implemented in Massachusetts under Romney which gave huge breaks to the Health care and Health Insurance industries and forced insurance on everyone. Every bit a conservative, individual responsiblilty program opposed by the left which wanted a single-payer system.
The country has received a great big dose of presidential centrist moderation and conservative sabotage and obstructionism. Lberals got photo ops.
so now its on to another distraction. But I'll bite.
The economy collapsed in 2007 descending into recession in 2008 and finally into depression due to Republican policies of the previous 7 years - a failure to enforce existing law and regulations (the madoff scandal as just one minor example), a failure to regulate "new" financial instruments (securities based on fraudlent and sub-prime mortages), and an orgy of fiscal irresponsibility never before experienced with over $5 trillion in new programs none of which were paid for. If 91 million aren't working and I don't accept that number as meaningful or accurate but certainly the 48 million on food stamps are a direct result of those Republican policies.
Ford took $5 billion before the crash in loans. They we lucky nothing more. But answer the question GM in bankruptcy takes Federal funds and survives. Does matter where the money comes from. Either public or private sources the results are the same; Ford and GM survived. Ford is not the premier auto company. GM just surpassed Toyoto as Number one company in the world based on sales and quality. Ford wasn't in the running, but it did survive.
Can't pass judgement on the website which has been open for 40 days. Ridiculous. Wait a year then will know. But you better hope it succeeds. Based on CBO numbers, Obamacare will reduce the Federal deficit over the long term by more than anything currently proposed including the disasterous sequester. And Obamacare did reduce the 2013 deficit by more than the sequester ($42 to 41 billion out of $409 billion). How is it a disaster to provide health care insurance to potentially 30 million people ad reduce federal spending by .5% of the GDP. Fanny Mae helped by more than either returning $50 billion to the Federal treasurery.
Don't give me this democratis controlled the house and senate. Tell me specific programs that were passed over the President's veto that added to the Federal debt. Specific Programs. Not some vague nonsense about who occupies a chair. Talk about their policies and actions.
stronger than the usual Fox News Fog.
1. The cost of the stimulus bill was $787 billion. But like conservatives always want to do you forget the benefits. 3 million people either kept their jobs or got jobs that otherwise would not have been there. That reduced federal/state spending for unemployment insurance, increased Federal/State income tax revenues, increased state sales taxes all just for a start. Net impact; none to the deficit or debt and likely the Federal Government made a profit. I thought you'd bringup the auto bailout, which cost several hundred billion but as of the last accounting I saw will cost of taxpayers $20 billion at most and with a few breaks on Wall Street will also show a profit never mind that GM is now the world's premier auto company.
2. Is that all you've got. The deficit in Bush's last budget year was $1.3 trillion now its around $645 billion. I want to know what policies Obama has promoted that increased the deficit that did not increase. Surely as a devoted Fox watcher you can come up with something more.
3. No one knows what if anything Obamacare will cost; but we do know so far its fully paid for in the Federal appropriations and even if it weren't. Obamacare has not added a penny to the deficit so far because it will not be implemented until next year.
4. Whose joking. Where in the world did you come up with 83% of what. We know congress felt it. Enough that they surrendered.
5. But as proof of "you'd blame Obama for snow on christmas is you last statement. Blaming Obama for successful protecting Americans from foreign and domestic terrorism. What hypocrisy.
but climb out of your Fox news fog. Name one policy Obama has promoted that has added to the debt. The deficts under Obama have been result of Republican policies. Their austerity program has cut economic grow by at least .5%. Their shutdown of the Federal Government cost an additional $24 billion. They have prevented the passage of any budget. They have prevented the BATF, IRS, FIDC, and other federal agencies from functioning never mind the courts. Their argument that Obmacare is costing jobs has been exposed as the lie it is. Fox News has had at least 4 couples claiming that or that their premiums have exploded under Obamacare and each has been exposed as a fraud. Same argument as voter fraud. Whenever anyone tried to verify Repubican claims they came up empty including here in Maine with Charlie Webster and Charlie Sumner's widely irresponsible and false claims.
You'd blame Obama for a snow storm on Christmas.
"I think a lot of people are ready to vote right now." I think Mr. Melcher is right on the money. Let's not waste time. Vote now.
We've seen the damage Republicans have done nationally. We've seen the damage LePage has wanted to do but was stopped by the legislature. Why waste time. Vote LePage out now.
and I got a printed summary from my representative some years back.
The majority of those new applications where the person had recently moved to Maine (live in Maine for less than 6 months) were people with social security accounts issued to Maine residents.
In short most out-of-staters move to Maine to come home; not for so-called "generous" welfare benefits. Those benefits are never substantial. They are at best minimal and often not even that.
resort to sources. I reviewed the news accounts around their move. Housing costs were one issue. Catholic Charities which helped them move to Maine also was dealing with their adapting to Atlanta's urban environment. I think they have done very well adapting to Lewiston.
that aren't true and make no sense. The Somalians moved from Atlanta to maine with the help of Catholic Charities because they did not adjust well to urban life in a major US city being rural people. Had nothing to do with eligibility for welfare. Thought this wornout argument had been discarded a decade ago when the racist anti-somalian protests ended.