I asked this question before with no real response, so I will pose it again; Why should college students, who are here for 28 weeks a year, vote on local issues that may not affect them after they complete their education? In my opinion a student who is living in a residence hall does not qualify as being a resident of the town and should not be able to vote on local issues. Furthermore a student who is the resident of another state should not be able to vote on issues concerning the State of Maine and the law says that students are not required to establish residency while they are a student. I welcome any response that can explain to me why a student from another state should be allowed to vote for the local county sheriff, town budget, or representative for any district in this state.
Karen, please answer these questions for me. If only 80% of the student are Maine residents then why are the other 20% allowed to vote in Maine?
My biggest concern is that students, who are not from Farmington, are allowed to vote on local issues while here. Why should someone from anywhere other than Franklin County be allowed to vote for the Sheriff of Franklin County, or non-Farmington residents vote on expenditures made by the Town? What about our school budget, or any number of other local issues that the student body at UMF could sway the vote on. Most student are here for 4 years then they are gone leaving behind the result of their votes.
I have discussed this with many politically active people, both republican and democrat, and heard similar concerns, however no one has given me a clear answer on why they are allowed to vote here and not made to vote in their own home town via absentee ballott. I look forward to hearing your opinion.