Devils back on track


TOPSHAM – This time, the Lewiston boys’ lacrosse team made sure they had an insurmountable cushion before shutting down the engines.

Two days after suffering what might be their toughest loss in two years, the Blue Devils got five goals from Zack Sheltra and three more from Jon Fournier, bouncing back with a convincing 9-3 road win over Mt. Ararat on Thursday.

“It was great for us to bounce back from the Brunswick game,” said Fournier, referring to his team’s overtime loss on Tuesday. “We basically just ran our plays well, and that got me open early.”

Fournier, who has had a tougher-than-normal season on the scoresheet thanks to a reputation as a high-scoring attack, had a solid first half for the Devils, factoring into all four goals.

Defensively, the Blue Devils (7-3) held Mt. Ararat to a rare scoreless first half, thanks in large part to an aggressive scheme and to the solid play of netminder Nate Rivet.

“It was all communication and working together,” said defender Jake Theriault. “We’ve been sliding faster and communicating better, and (Rivet) had a great game. He’s crazy, he comes out for everything. He’s a real good goalie.”

In the second half, as Mt. Ararat started to key in on Fournier, Zack Sheltra took over, planting himself at the left post and making himself available to a bevy of midfielders and attacks, who fed him for four goals in the second half and five overall.

“I didn’t get to show (Mt. Ararat) what I had in the first game because I had to play goalie,” said Sheltra. “It’s been on and off, but Jon’s a great player. He has good sight of the field with the ball and he’s able to find us.”

“We were more concerned about Fournier,” admitted Mt. Ararat coach Matt Haskell.

Mt. Ararat (4-6), meanwhile, struggled to get anything going offensively.

“You’re not going to win games scoring just three goals,” said Haskell. “I think we need to find a way to produce more.”

Lewiston scored the lone goal of the opening quarter when Fournier fired a side-arm shot into the top corner of the net on a nifty feed from Travis Lebrun at the 6:19 mark, and he repeated the feat on a pass from Zach Blauvelt with 9:52 to play in the half to put Lewiston ahead 2-0.

“That’s the play we wanted and the shot we wanted,” said Fournier. “(Coach) doesn’t really like sidearm shots, but you know, it gets the crowd going.”

Sheltra and Lebrun closed out the first half scoring, and the Blue devils started piling the goals on in the third, with two quick ones to go up 6-0.

Zack Drehobl netted the Eagles’ first goal 5:04 into the third quarter, but the Blue Devils added two more by Sheltra to take a commanding 8-1 lead after three.

Ryan Vermette sandwiched Sheltra’s fifth goal with two of his own to cap the scoring in the final quarter, but the last may have proved the most costly. On the play, Rivet was slashed hard in the elbow and fell in a heap to the ground. Vermette scored on the play and Rivet left the game. Afterwards, he was still favoring his elbow.

“It’s amazing how good he’s become in a short period of time,” said Lewiston coach Tom Fournier. “I hope I haven’t lost him, because that would be devastating.”

Lewiston’s first starting goaltender, Luke Collette, is out for the season with a broken thumb.