Discarded stove ashes start fire in Jay

0

JAY — A container of ashes from a wood stove beside a door started a house fire at 23 Maxwell Road on Wednesday afternoon.

Benjamin York and his son live at the home owned by Byron Johnson, Assistant Chief Mike Booker of the Fire Department said.

A door and part of a wall in the basement were charred, he said. There were small flames and a lot of smoke when members of Fire Department arrived about 2:30 p.m.

The family can still live in the home, he said. The home is near the intersection of Route 4 and is not insured.

Advertisement

About 30 firefighters responded from Wilton, Farmington and East Dixfield.

Central Maine Power shut off electrical service. A NorthStar ambulance was on scene and Jay police helped with traffic control.

abryant@sunjournal.com

Advertisement
SHARE