District Attorney’s Office to review Oxford shooting

0

OXFORD — Police said the investigation into the unintentional shooting that left a local teen in critical condition will be sent to the District Attorney’s Office for review.  

Oxford police Lt. Michael Ward offered fresh details on last month’s incident, though he said he was confined in what could be disclosed because of the pending investigation. Oxford County Assistant District Attorney Richard Beauchesne confirmed that the case was expected but not officially filed. 

“In a case of this serious nature you have to follow up on all ends. There could have been a loss of life here,” Ward said.  

No charges have been filed in the case. Ward said the District Attorney’s Office will determine if the case should go forward, including possible indictment from a grand jury. 

Advertisement

Police responded to Gladys Lane around noon on Nov. 17 for a reported shooting. The victim, a 17-year old, was taken by LifeFlight to Maine Medical Center in Portland in critical condition and underwent emergency surgery. 

Ward said that the boy’s father was cleaning a Glock handgun when the teen walked into the room. In order to release and clean the slide, he reportedly pulled the trigger, unaware the gun was loaded. The bullet passed through the boy’s chest, inches from his heart, Ward said.

He was not aware his son had entered the room, he said.

The father, whose name has not been released by the Sun Journal because no charges have been filed, was interviewed by police last week. 

Ward noted that the family has been cooperative with the investigation, keeping in regular contact with police and updating them on the teen’s health. He was released from the hospital last week. 

ccrosby@sunjournal.com

Advertisement
SHARE