Dust sparks Pioneer Plastics blaze


AUBURN — Dust from Pioneer Plastics decorative surfaces manufacturing plant on Pionite Road caught fire at about 8 p.m. Saturday night.

Auburn firefighters had the fire under control by 8:30 p.m., battalion Chief Richard McFadden Jr. said. He estimated damage to the building at about $5,000.

“We nipped it in the bud pretty well,” McFadden said. “They had a sprinkler there that helped.”

No injuries were reported.

The fire was located in the factory’s dust collection system, in the “pelletizing” room, near the south end of the complex. Welders had been working in that area early Saturday, but McFadden said he did not know whether that caused the fire.

“It might be coincidental,” he said. “We’re still investigating.”

A Lewiston Fire Department truck responded to the fire but remained out of service. McFadden said his firefighters responded well and had little trouble controlling the fire.

“Any time we can move quickly and keep a place open and operating, it’s a good thing,” he said.

[email protected]