Extension cord sparks Rumford blaze

0

RUMFORD — An extension cord hooked to an air conditioner sparked a fire in a second-floor bedroom at 38 Urquhart St. on Thursday afternoon, according to officials.

Louise Lucci and her wife, Wendy Lucci, escaped unharmed, Fire Chief Chris Reed said.

The fire ignited a mattress but was contained to the bedroom, he said.

Firefighters from Rumford, Mexico, Dixfield and Peru responded to the 2 p.m. call at the duplex in the Strathglass Park neighborhood, quickly dousing flames, the chief said.

Rumford Fire Department Lt. Keith Bickford said the cause was an extension cord hooked to an air conditioner.

The American Red Cross and the town’s General Assistance officer were contacted to help the couple.

Firefighters push a smoldering mattress out the window at 38 Urquhart St. in Rumford on Thursday afternoon. Rumford fire Lt. Keith Bickford said the cause of the blaze was an extension cord hooked to an air conditioner in a second-floor bedroom. (Bruce Farrin/Rumford Falls Times)

Advertisement