NORWAY (WGME) — A man and his dog escape a mobile home fire on New Year’s Day in Norway.
Chief Dennis Yates says they got the call around 3:45 a.m. that a home on Yagger Rd. was on fire. Chief Yates says a police officer who responded to the call, as well as a firefighter who lived down the road found the heating oil tank and a shed over it on fire.
Yates says the mobile homeowner’s furnace malfunctioned, and he was using a heating gun to warm the fuel line bringing heating oil to the home.
“He tried to do it as safe as he could, but obviously something malfunctioned and it caught the little shed on fire,” Chief Yates said.
In addition to the brutal cold, crews had to truck in sand to make it easier to drive the fire trucks up and down the hilly stretch of road where the fire was located.
The Red Cross is helping the homeowner and Chief Yates says he will be staying with the family.