FARMINGTON — A house at 500 Town Farm Road was damaged Sunday night when an area around a stovepipe caught fire, Farmington Fire Capt. Scott Baxter said Monday.
There were no injuries to the tenant, but the house was not livable, he said.
A tenant was operating a wood stove in the kitchen when the area between the wall around the stovepipe and the chimney caught fire, Baxter said. The fire extended up to a storage area and burned a little of the rafters.
Firefighters put salvage covers on items in the kitchen. There was some smoke damage in the living quarters and some water and smoke damage in the kitchen.
The house isn’t habitable, but it can be renovated, Baxter said.
Gary Bergeron of New Sharon owns the house, which is insured.
The tenant’s name was unknown.
Farmington firefighters were assisted by others from Wilton, Jay, Temple, Chesterville and Strong. NorthStar EMS ambulance personnel and Farmington police also responded to the fire, which was reported at about 6:53 p.m.