Fire destroys Harrison garage


HARRISON — A three-car garage at 76 Upton Road burned to the ground late Thursday morning, but the mobile home next to it was saved when firefighters from five towns responded.

Harrison Assistant Fire Chief Dana LaPlante said crews and trucks from Norway, Oxford, Otisfield and Bridgton arrived shortly after the five fire trucks from Harrison to quell the blaze. PACE ambulance was also on scene, along with Central Maine Power workers who disconnected the power to the house.

The home and garage are owned by Clifford and Rebecca Hemingway.

Clifford Hemingway said his 5-year-old son came running into the house around 11 a.m., “screeching like he had gotten hurt, and yelling, ‘fire, fire.’”

When he went outside Hemingway said the building was engulfed in flames. Asked if he had heard an explosion or any other noise, he said no. There were no vehicles in the garage at the time of the fire, which was quickly brought under control once firefighters arrived. Hemingway said the garage, a wood-frame building with a metal roof, was three years old.