NEW GLOUCESTER — A father and two children escaped their burning home at 177 Pond Road on Tuesday morning when a chimney fire spread to the walls, a New Gloucester Fire Department official said.
Incident Commander Roger Levasseur said the call came in at about 8:53 a.m. as a chimney fire. When the first officer arrived the fire had spread to the walls.
He said the small house was “gutted,” and the estimated property value was between $30,000 and $35,000. The family had no insurance, according to the New Gloucester Fire and Rescue Facebook page.
The page also said the Red Cross is helping with clothing and shelter for the father and children, ages 4 and 6.
“We notified the Red Cross and left it in their hands,” Levasseur said.
Levasseur said about 22 firefighters were at the fire, including those from New Gloucester, Raymond, Gray, Poland, Durham and Auburn. He said he had about 10,000 gallons of water at his disposal and the fire was easily extinguished.