Fire heavily damages kitchen, living room of Rangeley home

0

RANGELEY — Improperly discarded smoking material caused a fire late Friday afternoon that heavily damaged the kitchen and living room of a house at 428 Rumford Road, fire Chief Tim Pellerin said Monday.

There was heat and smoke damage throughout the rest of the two-story house, he said. He estimated damage at $130,000.

Timothy Gotto got out of the house without injury, he said. Gotto reported the fire at 4:31 p.m. as a couch fire spreading to the walls of the living room, Pellerin said.

About 30 firefighters from Rangeley, Phillips and Strong responded. Rangeley police, backed up by the Maine Warden Service and NorthStar EMS ambulance personnel, also responded.

Advertisement

When firefighters arrived, the fire had extended to the kitchen and outside the home, breaking a couple of windows, he said.

The home is owned by Carolyn Flynn of Mexico, who is Gotto’s sister, Pellerin said.

The building remains structurally sound and is insured.

Everyone who responded did a great job working together, Pellerin said.

dperry@sunjournal.com

Advertisement
SHARE