Fire heavily damages mobile home, family, pet get out safe

0

FREEMAN TOWNSHIP — A state fire investigator determined Monday that a fire that heavily damaged a mobile home early Saturday on Baker Hill Road was accidental. A father, his son and a pet dog escaped without injury, Strong fire Chief Duayne Boyd said Monday.

“The cause of the fire is related to a french fry cooker left on in the kitchen,” investigator Edward Hastings IV of the Maine Office of the State Fire Marshal said Monday.

More than 15 firefighters from Strong, Phillips, Salem Township and Kingfield responded to the blaze reported at 2:50 a.m. Saturday at the intersection of Foster Hill Road, also known as Route 145, Boyd said.

Todd Huff heard a beeping sound and the dog also woke him up, and Huff was able to get both his son and the dog out, and called for the fire department, Boyd said.

Advertisement

Salem fire Chief Steve Viles was the first on the scene and flames and smoke were visible, Boyd said.

Firefighters pulled a couple hose lines off a Strong firetruck and were able to knock the fire down within 10 minutes, he said.

The mobile home is owned by Huff’s sister, Darlene Rowe, also of Franklin County. There was insurance on the mobile home but there was no renter’s insurance, Hastings said. It is not habitable.

The American Red Cross responded to help Huff, Boyd said.

“It’s a total loss,” he said. “It’s heavily damaged in the center.”

dperry@sunjournal.com

Advertisement