Firefighters battle blaze at Turner home

0

TURNER — Investigators say a chimney is the likely source of a fire that ripped through a single-family home at 38 Quimby Road on Friday afternoon.

The home is owned by Butch Quimby, who arrived at the scene as flames were shooting out the eaves of the small home. A family member said several cats were believed to have perished in the blaze.

Firefighters from Turner, Buckfield, Greene, Livermore, Minot and Auburn helped battle the blaze. The house was valued by the town at $101,800.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office went to Turner to help search for a cause. Later in the day, Turner fire Chief Michael Arsenault said marshals discovered that a problem with the chimney likely caused the fire.

Advertisement

The home was left standing once flames were extinguished, but it’s considered a total loss.

“Whatever wasn’t damaged by fire was damaged by smoke and water,” Arsenault said.

Advertisement
SHARE