Garage fire accidental

0

RUMFORD – The cause of Sunday morning’s fire that destroyed a rental property’s single-car garage on High Street is undetermined, Deputy Chief Scott Holmes said early Tuesday evening at the fire station.

“We don’t believe it was arson; we believe it was accidental,” Holmes said of the 3:44 a.m. fire at 471 High St. in the Virginia neighborhood.

Additionally, he said he wasn’t sure if the garage was insured by owner Michael Durry of Vermont.

According to the report, no damage amount was estimated either.

There were no injuries.

When firefighters arrived, flames were coming from several places on the garage and threatening the two-story home, about 10 feet away, Holmes said. Mexico firefighters and a tanker, and Med-Care Ambulance also responded to assist Rumford’s 16 firefighters.

Smoking eaves on the house were watered down, but paint on the side closest to the garage bubbled from the heat. A thermal imaging camera revealed that the fire hadn’t extended into the house, Holmes said.

An investigator from the State Fire Marshal’s Office arrived at noon Sunday and examined the damage.


Advertisement
SHARE