PORTLAND (AP) — A small Portland graveyard that dates to the 18th century has been put back on the map of the city’s historic burial grounds.
The Grand Trunk Cemetery, also known as the East Deering Cemetery and Presumpscot Street Cemetery, was the burial ground for settlers between 1793 and 1898.
More recently it had become a dumping ground for old appliances and vehicles and a playground for vandals.
The Portland Press Herald (http://bit.ly/1BIieGk ) reported that that changed thanks to Girl Scouts Samantha Allshouse and Kayla Theriault, who made reclaiming the cemetery their Gold Aware Project.
An official rededication ceremony was held Sunday.
The grounds once strewn with garbage have been cleared and flower beds have been planted. An informational sign has been erected and a project to map all the graves is ongoing.