PORTLAND — The American Red Cross encourages eligible blood donors to give one last gift this holiday season and discover the true meaning of giving by donating blood.
The gift of a blood donation only takes about an hour.
To encourage donations and show appreciation, all those who attempt to donate blood Dec. 24 through Jan. 4 will receive a long-sleeve Red Cross T-shirt, while supplies last.
To learn more about donating blood and to schedule an appointment, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
* Tuesday, Dec. 16, noon to 6 p.m. at Murray Hall, 69 Main St., Livermore Falls;
* Thursday, Dec. 18, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Greater Androscoggin Humane Society, 55 Strawberry Ave., Lewiston;
* Saturday, Dec. 20, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Auburn Mall, 550 Center St., Auburn;
* Monday, Dec. 22, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Aubuchon Hardware, 138 Main St., Norway;
* Tuesday, Dec. 23, 1 to 6 p.m. at American Legion Post 112, 169 King St., Oxford;
* Wednesday, Dec. 24, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Masonic Hall, Harrison Road, Bridgton;
* Monday, Dec. 29, 1 to 6 p.m. at Denmark Town Hall, Route 117, Denmark;
* Wednesday, Dec. 31, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Franklin Memorial Hospital, 1 Hospital Drive, Farmington;
All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood.