Grill fire limited to deck, siding on Webster Street

0

LEWISTON — A greasy grill fire set fire to a Webster Street couple’s deck Saturday night.

Maurice Levasseur, 73, of 693 Webster St., said he’d been cooking baked potatoes on the grill on his back deck at about 4:15 p.m. Saturday when he noticed the grill was smoking more than normal. He opened it and it flashed over, with flames spreading to the wooden deck.

Jim Goss of Lewiston said he and his family were driving by the house on Webster Street when they saw the rising flames.

“I stopped, ran up and the saw the owner trying to put out the fire with a garden hose,” Goss said. “I took the hose and told him to take care of his wife.”

Sue Levasseur was inside watching TV when she heard the grill explode. Firefighters hustled the couple and Goss away from the house to battle the fire. They declared it out and under control just before 5 p.m.

“I’m just glad he wasn’t injured,” she said. “I’m glad it didn’t get any worse than it did.”

Fire Investigator Paul Ouellette said it the grill’s propane tank was not involved in the fire. He suspects that air mixed with the hot grease when Levasseur opened the lid but the incident is still under investigation.

Damage was contained to the deck and siding outside the home.

[email protected]

Advertisement