H.S. field hockey: Mt. Blue finishes off Edward Little


Edward Little’s Jordan Cummings (1) races after the ball as Mt. Blue’s Keegan Andrews (8), Adelle Loss (24) and EL’s Anna LeBlanc follow in a field hockey game at Caldwell Field in Farmington on Thursday. Mt. Blue won, 3-0.Coach Greg Perkins tries to rally the Edward Little Red Eddies at Caldwell Field in Farmington on Thursday.

FARMINGTON — The Mt. Blue Cougars watched a handful of tantalizing scoring opportunities dissipate in the blazing sun at Caldwell Field on a sultry Thursday afternoon.

But it didn’t matter that those chances were squandered by the Cougars — although there is no doubt those missed scoring prospects raised Mt. Blue field hockey coach Jody Harmon’s level of frustration.

The Cougars (3-2) scored a goal in the first half, two more in the second and used impressive passing skills to fend off determined Edward Little (2-3) and win, 3-0.

“That’s the story of our … for a long as I can remember,” Harmon said. “We are right there every time and keep pounding it in. Just getting someone to finish it.

“I definitely liked the passing, communicating. That is something we have been really trying to focus on. We had seven sequences that were just awesome. But now it is just finishing it.”

The Cougars parked themselves in front of the net for most of the game, but adding those finishing touches and slapping the ball in the net became a problem.

“They are a solid team. They just pass the ball really, really well,” Edward Little coach Craig Perkins said. “I don’t know if you noticed, but that’s really our problem.

“We aren’t there yet with our passing. I told these kids if you could pass effectively and pass consistently you can play against a team like this. They (Cougars) are just very, very good with their skills and their passing. We just aren’t there yet, that’s all.”

Late in the first half, junior Ellie Pelletier took a feed from Madison Bard and scored at the 5:54 mark to give the Cougars a 1-0 lead going into halftime.

Despite Edward Little’s speed and tenacity, the Cougars also stole the show in the second half as well.

Samantha Ellis took advantage on a corner and used a Molly Harmon assist to score with 17:09 left in the second half.

The Red Eddies struggled and had no shots on net the entire game, and the Cougars held the advantage in corners, 22-1.

Freshman Rilee Keaton, who had been injured earlier in the season, topped off Mt. Blue’s scoring with a goal on another Harmon assist with 3:47 left in the game.

“Great team effort,” Harmon said. “My biggest thing I would like to say is Rilee Keaton is a freshman, but has been injured and has been out.

“She was back the last game. She was the one who scored on the right post. Finally there, with her stick on the ground and got it in.”

But Perkins also saw some shining moments from the Red Eddies.

“I liked the way we played all the way to end of the game,” Perkins said. “It’s kind of hard when you get down one, then two and then even three (goals), but they battled right to the end, and I was proud that they weren’t going to let up, and heck, we even got the ball down there and got some scoring opportunities late.”

Edward Little’s Grace McBride (12) goes head-to-head with Mt. Blue’s Adelle Foss (24) in a field hockey game at Caldwell Field in Farmington on Thursday. Mt. Blue won, 3-0.The Mt. Blue Cougars battle for the ball in front of the Edward Little net in a field hockey game at Caldwell Field in Farmington on Thursday. The Cougars won, 3-0.