LEWISTON — The Clough Cemetery on Lisbon Road in South Lewiston has tales to tell — of conflicts between early settlers (some of them squatters) and Edward Little’s father, Josiah; of a family squabble over ownership of the family farm; and of a soldier in the American Revolution.
The Androscoggin Historical Society will sponsor a tour of the cemetery at 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 11. The tour leader will be Doug Hodgkin, a retired professor of political science at Bates College who has written several books about local history. He has ancestors buried in the cemetery.
He will tell stories of the founding of the railroad at Crowley’s Junction, the Clough Meeting House and Lewiston Grange. Hodgkin notes that the cemetery is one of the earliest burying grounds of Lewiston and includes the graves of some of the earliest town leaders and other inhabitants of South Lewiston.
Also on the tour, courtesy of the Clough Cemetery Association, will be the Clough Meeting House of 1846, which is on the National Register of Historic Places and is the oldest existing church building in Lewiston.
Hodgkin was a member of the Bates College faculty from 1966 to 2002, serving as chairman of the Political Science Department for 10 years. After retirement, he focused on local history. Publications include “Lewiston Memories: A Bicentennial Pictorial,” “The Grange at Crowley’s Junction,” “Fractured Family: Fighting in the Maine Courts” and “Frontier to Industrial City: Lewiston Town Politics, 1770-1863.” Hodgkin has served as president, board member and, since 1990, as newsletter editor of the Androscoggin Historical Society.
The cemetery is at 1920 Lisbon Road across from the South Lewiston Baptist Church. There is no charge, but donations are welcome.