Home destroyed by fire in West Paris


WEST PARIS — A fast moving fire Thursday destroyed a home at 51 North Paris Road owned by Dan and Deborah Trowbridge.

Fire Chief Norman St. Pierre said the cause of the fire, according to the State Fire Marshall’s Office, was spontaneous combustion in oily rags that were stuffed into a garbage can in the garage.

“The fire was called in by a man living across the road and we had units on scene in 3.4 minutes,” St. Pierre said. “The fire spread from the garage through the breezeway and burned up into the trusses in the house. We were able to hold the fire at bay while the couple was able to save much of their personal belongings in the house. But the house is a total loss due to smoke, fire and water damage.”

Assisting West Paris were firefighters from Greenwood, Woodstock, Paris, Sumner, Norway and Tri Town Abulance and Rescue Service.

“Everyone got out safely and there were no injuries,” St. Pierre said.