Hundreds expected for paramedic’s funeral


Allan Parsons died when ambulance, truck collided

FARMINGTON – Longtime paramedic Allan Parsons will take his final ride in an ambulance today in a ceremony to mark his career and his life.

The 46-year-old medic died last week while treating a patient in the back of an ambulance that was struck by a pickup truck on Route 4.

Hundreds of friends and colleagues from the emergency medicine profession are expected to attend the afternoon service, during which Parsons’ body will be escorted to and from a funeral home by a procession of motorcycle police.

The loss of Parsons has rattled the medical community, from ambulance drivers to emergency staff at hospitals in the region.

“We’re grieving, too,” said Lisa Davis, a nurse at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston. “You get to know these guys pretty well. Allan always, always came in with a smile. He was always compassionate and concerned. But he never really showed his stress. He was just a happy and warm guy, no matter what was going on.”

Parsons was killed when the Med-Care ambulance was struck by a truck crossing Route 4 from Potato Road to Lone Pine Road. Early indications are that the pickup truck, driven by Christopher Boutin, 29, of Turner, pulled out in front of the ambulance.

Boutin remained at CMMC Wednesday with injuries suffered in the wreck. At the request of his family, no information about his condition was being released.

Also hospitalized was 68-year-old Arlene Greenleaf, the driver of the ambulance. She was listed in fair condition at the Lewiston hospital a week after the crash.

Pauline Holman, of Dixfield, remained in serious condition at CMMC. Holman was being treated by Parsons while traveling by ambulance from a Rumford hospital to the Lewiston one. When the ambulance crashed, Holman slid off a gurney onto the floor, adding injuries to the broken bones she was being treated for initially.

The crash is being investigated by the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Department. Blood-alcohol tests were administered on the drivers involved but results of those tests had not been released on Thursday.

During the past decade, Parsons worked for Monmouth Rescue, United Ambulance and Med-Care, gathering friends as he moved from one ambulance crew to another. He also volunteered for the Wales Fire Department.

Parsons was the father to a daughter and two sons. At the funeral service today, the Maine EMS honor guard and color guard will present his mother with a flag.

The funeral procession will wend from Wiles Funeral Home on Farmington Falls Road at 12:30 p.m. led by Auburn and Lewiston police officers on motorcycles. The procession will move to the Farmington Fairgrounds, entering through the Maple Avenue gate. Following the service, the funeral procession will return to the Wiles Funeral Home, again led by motorcycle escort.

Not that it will be all solemn and sad, organizers say. Parsons wouldn’t have wanted it that way.

“Right now, we’re looking at a pizza party between services,” said paramedic Ron Morin.