JAY — Fourteen property owners have signed up for the town’s 2018-19 Tax Club, allowing them to pay their bills over eight months.
Started three years ago, the club had 29 members the first year and 33 the second, Town Clerk Ronda Palmer said.
The rules for members include:
• The property must be the taxpayer’s primary residence and where they claim legal residency.
• Property taxes must be up to date, with no outstanding balances.
• Enrollment begins once taxes are committed. The rate was set Aug. 21 at $20.25 per $1,000 of property valuation.
• A taxpayer who enrolls after the first payment due date must pay previous months’ payments and interest at the time of enrollment.
• Payments can be made at the Town Office or by mail.
• The first payment is due Oct. 1 and the last by May 1, 2019; Town Office staff will issue a payment booklet with the due dates and amounts to be paid.
• Enrollment will automatically terminate if two consecutive payments are missed, and the first half of taxes will be due by Oct. 1 and the second half by April 1, 2019.
• The town will not notify members of delinquent payments.
The Tax Club does not work for people who have escrow accounts.