100 years ago, 1910
Deputy Sheriff F. H. Boothby of Livermore is court crier at the term of the Supreme Court now in session in Auburn. Mr. Boothby is not an old man, but when he was almost 40 years younger than he is now, he helped in laying the corner stone of Lewiston’s old City Hall where the Atherton furniture store now stands. Mr. Boothby thinks he is the only man now living who helped do this work.
50 years ago, 1960
Lewiston Fire Pvt. Franklin H. Tapley has been appointed chairman of the 1960 Firemen’s Ball sponsored by the Lewiston Firemen’s Relief Association, a post he also held last year. The annual dance is scheduled for Oct. 15 at Memorial Armory.
Tapley, a member of the Lisbon Road fire substation staff, also is president of the sponsoring relief association.
25 years ago, 1985
The Androscoggin County Bureau of Civil Emergency Preparedness will conduct a test of the Lewiston-Auburn’s outdoor warning sirens at noon Saturday. The signal to be tested will be a three-minute steady tone which depicts the “Attention or Alert Signal” that will be used during major local peacetime emergencies.
The purpose of this test is to ensure that all outdoor warning sirens are in proper operating condition, to insure recognition of warning signals by the general public and to cause the general public to think about their personal preparedness posture as well as recognize that of their respective communities.