Looking Back on Feb. 24, 2012

0

100 years ago, 1912
Good news for Lewiston and Auburn. Another big shoe shop in Auburn employing 300 more hands. Another model factory to be built at once. This is the message of today to the folks.
Lunn and Sweet, one of the most progressive concerns in New England, will build it as an addition to their present factory. The new part will be 50 feet wide, 170 feet long and four stories high. It will give a frontage on Minot Avenue of 320 feet of uniform factory construction.

50 years ago, 1962
The Lisbon Villa, a Lisbon Center restaurant and hotel, was virtually destroyed today in a spectacular fire which could be seen for miles. Owner O’Neil Charpentier said he left the restaurant-night club about 15 minutes before the fire was discovered. The old Lachance home, it contained 17 rooms and three baths as a residence and was located on a 17-acre tract. When the new Lisbon Road was built, the construction placed the building between the old and new roads on a commanding high point of land.
 
25 years ago, 1987
The YWCA’s gigantic white fluffy bear needs a name and the public is being asked to help. Known now as the Y’s Bear, the YWCA mascot will help to kick off the upcoming first annual L/A Fest set for March 6-7 at the Lewiston Armory and the Lewiston Athletic Park Field. The cuddly bear is now being stored in a box the size of a refrigerator.

Advertisement
SHARE