Looking Back on March 23,2010

0

100 years ago, 1910

The barber’s pole installed Saturday for the firm of Cook and Colby on Lisbon Street is attracting considerable attention by reason of its novelty. The pole consists of a decorated body, about 6 feet in height, inside of which is an electric motor, started from the rooms on the second floor, and turning a decorated cylinder. Electric lights serve for the illumination in the evening. The apparatus, complete, is valued at nearly $100.

50 years ago, 1960

Five Lewiston department heads were reappointed last night by the Board of Finance.

Advertisement

Voted new one-year terms were City Controller Laurier T. Raymond, City Auditor Armand G. Sansoucy, City Tax Collector Adrian O. Anctil and Industrial Development Director Samuel Michael.

Assessor Cyprien A. Levesque was appointed to another three-year term, the usual practice with assessors.

25 years ago, 1985

SABATTUS — About 100 acres of “beautifully wooded land” adjoining the Dominican Sisters’ convent here has been put on the market for sale and development, and a new facility for the sisters reportedly is in the works.

What will become of the old wood frame convent, a local landmark for more than a half-century, is unclear at this point, but the sisters are in need of more modern facilities.

Advertisement
SHARE