100 years ago, 1910
The Bassett Studio which opens this morning at 63 Lisbon St. will fill a long felt want in the community, giving one an opportunity to get anything in photography or portraiture of any style of an up-to-date class and quality on the ground floor. The advantage of this to ladies and children will be, we believe, appreciated by many. Mr. Bassett displays a full line of the celebrated Sawyer hand-colored photographs and will add other art goods soon.
50 years ago, 1960
Auburn firemen spent more than an hour last night and early today extinguishing a fire in the smokehouse at Stearns Inc. on Riverside Drive.
Auburn Police Patrolmen Allen Bishop and Richard Burns discovered the fire when making their rounds.
Firemen confined the fire to the smokehouse but there was some damage to walls before the fire, believed caused by a flare-up in a meat smoking operation, was extinguished.
25 years ago, 1985
The Lewiston-Auburn Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals will observe its 100th anniversary on Sunday with an open house at its outer Hotel Road shelter in Auburn.
Organized in 1885, the Lewiston-Auburn SPCA has historically worked in matters of animal welfare throughout Androscoggin County and remains one of the oldest such institutions in the country.
In the last three years alone, the shelter has provided care and refuge for 5,815 dogs and cats, of which only 2,328 were adopted and 103 were returned to their owners. But thousands were also euthanized.