Lyons shell Huskies, 16-5


HARWICH, Mass. – Sophomore Scott Guillerault went 4-for-4 with six RBIs as Wheaton College defeated the University of Southern Maine, 16-5, in the championship round of the 2006 NCAA Division III New England Regional Baseball Tournament Saturday afternoon.

The Lyons (38-8) pounded out 17 hits against the beleaguered Huskies (32-17) pitching staff, including three home runs.

The Huskies struck first, scoring two runs in the opening inning on a two-run single to right field by junior Ryan Bourque. Bourque’s single drove in freshman Chris Burleson and junior Nick Vardaro.

Wheaton came back in the bottom half of the inning, combining four hits and a hit batter into four runs. Junior Brandon Leonard climbed aboard as he was hit by a pitch to lead off, stole second, and scored on a single to left field by senior Andy Koocher.

Wheaton moved ahead on the first of Guillerault’s four hits as he launched a wind-blown, two-run homer to left field. Wheaton added a final run in the inning on a single to left field by senior Mark Baumer of Durham.

Maine 4, Vermont 1

BURLINGTON, Vt. – A four-run third inning gave Maine a 4-1 win over Vermont in a rain-shortened five-inning game at soggy Centennial Field Saturday.

The Catamounts (18-31) drew first blood in the bottom of the second with a run without a hit. Jeff Nolet led with a walk, reached second on an error, advanced to third on a sacrifice by Matt Naimoli and scored when Jeff Heppner grounded out.

The Black Bears (31-20) took over in the third as Danny Menendez drew a leadoff walk, moved to second on a wild pitch and scored on a double down the left-field line by Joe Hough. After Hough stole third and Matt McGraw walked, Joel Barrett singled to right for the go-ahead run. Kevin McAvoy then reached on an error to load the bases and a soft liner by Mark Ostrander was misplayed for another error, scoring both McGraw and Barrett to give Maine its 4-1 lead.

Vermont has already clinched the America East regular season title, while Maine’s postseason hopes remain alive. Steady rain halted the scheduled second game until Sunday at 5 p.m.